Recently Valarie and I were watching a movie and got talking about how the decade is about 65% over, and thus wondering what were either the most well-regarded or our personally favorite movies of the 2000s are. We wound up focusing largely on the latter.
For example, I suppose for a lot of people, both critics and the public, the Lord of the Rings trilogy will be high on the list. But not mine. Then there's something ludicrous like Crash winning Best Picture at the Oscars. In many cases, I prefer smaller pictures like Beau Travail, my #1. But then again, the last installment of the Star Wars trilogy also made the list; although I usually destest multiplexes and popcorn movies, I'm not immune from their temptations either.
With any list of movie favorites, they tend to change all the time. A few days ago I ranked my top 15 movies from 2000 to present (10 was too hard), and for the most part I'm sticking to it so far. It's weighed fairly heavily towards the early part of the decade, because I was reviewing movies from 1998-2005 and have deliberately cut the number of films I actually watch. Then again, those kinds of factors are built into everybody's personal list. So, here goes...
1. Beau Travail (Claire Denis, 2000)
2. The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson, 2001)
3. Lost In Translation (Sofia Coppola, 2003)
4. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)
5. What Time Is It There? (Tsai Ming-Liang, 2002)
6. In the Mood For Love (Wong Kar-Wai, 2001)
7. Memento (Christopher Nolan, 2001)
8. Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (George Lucas, 2005)
9. Old Boy (Chan-Wook Park, 2003)
10. Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog, 2005)
11. 24 Hour Party People (Michael Winterbottom, 2002)
12. Rivers and Tides (Thomas Riedelsheimer, 2003)
13. Last Days (Gus Van Sant, 2005)
14. I’m Going Home (Manoel del Oliveira, 2001)
15. Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt, 2006)
Honorable Mention: Croupier, The Emperor and the Assassin, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai, The Filth and the Fury, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Life Aquatic, Collateral, Waking Life, Donnie Darko, Before Sunset, Ghost World, Wallace & Grommit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Casino Royale, Under the Sand, The Man Without A Past, Dave Chappelle's Block Party, The Triplets of Belleville, The Virgin Suicides, Gerry, 28 Days Later, City of God, Winged Migration, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, The Barbarian Invasions, I'm Not Scared